Self-Certification & Sickness Certificates

If you are unwell and cannot work you will need to "self certify" for the first 7 days, you do not need to give your employer a fit note or other proof of sickness from a medical professional.

Many employers will have their own self certification forms, if your employer doesn't, you can use the form below. Please print, complete it and hand to your employer. You do not need to see a doctor.

Download Self Certification Form


If you are unwell and cannot work for more than 7 days, your employer may ask you to provide a sick certificate. 

You can request a sickness certificate using eConsult, click "get started" below to submit a request.


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website